<bgsound src="http://www.geocities.com/j_suju/fm_smith-Red_Guitar.mpp" loop=infinite>

Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Art of Persuasion

Oh, how I wonder and wish that I could persuade the people in my life - my family, friends, colleagues, and even those who don't know me! I knew it was a skill and it required at least some acumen. I just give up after a while even when I (in my hearts of hearts) know for sure that I am correct. I ain't proud of that. In fact, I need to work on my persuasion skills. And yes, verbal combat is not an answer to that! Even if it was, I would terribly fail. I just cannot be belligerently verbose.

'Persuasion' for me isn't the art of making people blindly believe and follow what I think. It is an art of conveying our thoughts agreeably. How do companies sell their products? Yes, by persuading people to believe them, right? How can one company keeps burgeoning more in the market than others? Thanks to their persuasive skills reaching out to people via the 'idot' box TV (Oh I still say TV and not Television). If not for persuasion, how would then a researcher demonstrate to people that his/her research has all the answers to fill the voids in scientific literature, despite the study being cap a pie flawed? This is life, a real world! We ought to know how to stick here!

I came across 'Introduction to Influence' while researching on Persuasion through Dr. KK. There are people who dedicate their lives to learning and delving more into persuasive skills. Strange, but again isn't that the whole point of this post - Persuasion? It is more than merely art, it is a science in itself.

No, I am not out of my mind. It does help.

Cheerios

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Vaibhav Choudhary said...

yeah, abs. correct !!

I guess this art we learnt most from our parents. All the way to the life, we used to say "school nahi jana, ye kahna nahi khana" and you remember how they persuade us !!

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

horrible horrible post
what the hell r u talking about!?!!?

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Sujoo said...

@Aparna: Thanks for the comment.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Sathish said...

Persuasion.... art or science... :) mmmmm....

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

You may be right about something, sometimes you may think that how is it possible that the person you are trying to influence/persuade cannot see something that is so obviously visible to you.
But thats what the world is all about. We all think differently. Each has his own path. The other person may also discover that what you were saying was right but it may take some time...he/she may make a mistake and learn something that you have already learnt.
And its also possible that what seems so wrong for you is an essential experience for the inner development of this other person (painful as it may be).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home