<bgsound src="http://www.geocities.com/j_suju/fm_smith-Red_Guitar.mpp" loop=infinite>

Thursday, April 28, 2005

My First Day of Data Collection !!

Thursday...Sai baba's day !! Couldn't be a better day to begin my data collection.

Wow ! Finally got started with the toughest part of doing a thesis project, at least in our field - Pharmacy. It somehow was being delayed for reasons known to me and my advisor. Had some sensitive issues to handle and we also took care of it but ofcourse with a lot of effort. Received the project approval letter yesterday from the University. Whoa man...it nearly took me three months to get an IRB approved ! And meanwhile, thanks to Caroline. She made my pilot come true.

Data Collection is not a cake walk. I knew that. I had earlier assisted Caroline with her data collection. But I could feel that awkwardness today. Its really embarassing for me to go to each patient, explain them the whole project, and ask them for their 'voluntary' praticipation to fill out my survey. And approach again and again. I always get butterflies in my stomach even if I think about it. But today was something different. Something magical. May be miracle. Yes. After the first person filled out the survey. My worst fears and uneasiness just vanished. I approached people. Some agreed and some denied. Accepting their denial also came naturally to me today. Finally after three hours I could mange a hi five....one of my lucky numbers. Wow. Good for me. Thanks to all those kind people.

I have always believed that "Its just the first step that is hardest to take and you also have to take it by yourself. Rest everything is taken care of." My belief and my conviction found a strong support today. Now I m just hoping to go through the whole phase smoothly.

Evening was garnered by a lovely dinner at the Olive Gardens. The TA profs gave the TAs a farewell party. Awesome. Relished the adorable Tiramisu :D. What could be more delicious a desert than the ravishing Tiramisu. I can't stop raving about it !! Excuse Moi' for my sweet jaw. :D

Calling it a day now to get enough energy for the data collection tomorrow.

Amen !

4 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Enjoy Life!! said...

3 months to get something approved!! and you tell me you miss india, come on :P

"But today was something different. Something magical. May be miracle."

Are you sure you are talking about data collection :P

Anyways, well begun is half done. Congrats!!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Ketaki said...

Congratulations girl, that IS a very big step. IRB and data collection done, you will be on your way in no time! OSU, here comes Sujata! Isn't that where you plan to get a PhD from? Correct me if I am wrong, cos you had so many admits....
Ketaki

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Ketaki said...

Oh and one more thing, since you are an ardent fan of HR's, here's the site of a guy who accidentally bumped into HR at an airport and was almost forced [by Hema Malini] to click a picture with him.
http://sachin.sarnobat.com/
PS - this is just so you can be on the lookout the next time you are at an airport ;)
Enjoy!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Sujoo said...

Ya ket..moving to OSU. Udar bhi Monali hi milegi =)) lolz. Planning to work with Dr. Balkrishnan.

Howz Wisconsin?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home